Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection - Week 2

When you begin reading the chapter it seems very generic in your assumptions of what entrepreneurship really is, who those people are and what their missions are.  Some things were a given to me, such as the difference between an entrepreneur and a small business owner but when we got to the "School's of Thought Approach to Entrepreneurship" that is where all my assumptions went out the window and I started to grasp onto the different levels and view points.  First, I did not know, nor think that there could be two different thought approaches (being micro and macro view); then each view is broken down into various categories, such as environmental, finance, etc.

The one thing that was not touched on much that I would have liked to have a better understanding of was the Global Perspective; the content titles "The Cost of Free Trade."  I get it, when we stop manufacturing within the states, it leads to problems because American workers are left out of work but why do we do this?  Perhaps this is more of a Macro/microeconomics question which I am taking this semester but how does this apply to entrepreneurship?  At the end of the article it alludes to this is an area where entrepreneurs rise to the occasion with sustainable solutions but how?  Is it not too late?  I would have liked to have a clearer explanation on that.

If I could ask the author any questions, it would be to know more about his personal experience in the field of entrepreneurship and in several article it states science is researching this or that to become more conclusive in the data being shared but how long have they been studying this data and what gages that it is truly accurate? The only aspect of the chapter that I found supported with data and understandable was "The Impact of Gazelles", I understood the breakdown and where they acquired their conclusion but other parts of the chapter left me head scratching.

I honestly cannot say that I disagree with anything in the article for the simple fact that I am not educated enough to determine what is right and what is wrong.  The one part of the article that I enjoyed thoroughly was the myths.  A lot of the assumptions of entrepreneurship  were that of my own thoughts and feelings, me primarily falling under those stereotypes, therefore I found it uplifting that A) I am not alone in my thoughts and B) I too CAN be an entrepreneur.


No comments:

Post a Comment