Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bug List - Week 2

An assignment that I thought would be relatively hard became seemingly easy over the course of a week in which I worked to compile a list that entailed the top 20 things that essentially bug me and explain why I think the bug exists.  Here is my top 20 list in no particular order:



 1.  People who smell

Allow me to clarify, this does not necessarily mean bad, this can also mean that they bathed in perfume and it is overpowering.  This exist for a multiple of reason.  If it is the smell of body odor, it could be a medical issue or a cultural choice.  If they wear too much, they could be trying to cover up something (perhaps a trip to the gym with  no time for a shower).

2.  The pompous attitude of the sales associates at Ulta in Waterford Lakes.

Ulta is a beauty supply chain for women and in order to be in sales, you have to dress the part.  I think this lies within the hiring process.  They need to hire beautiful, confident people who take care of themselves and can demonstrate the products.  In turn, their confidence could be misconstrued as arrogance.

3.  People who talk over me when I'm talking.

I chalk this up to three categories:  they did not hear me, they do not want to hear me, they find what they have to say is more important.

4.  People who talk on their phones in the bathroom.

Let me just say, this disgust me.  Whether I am in the stall next to you or on the other line while you are talking.  No call is so important that it cannot wait 3 minutes.  This is just poor manners.

5.  People reading over my should.

This really applies to work more than anything.  If I talking about an email or document and they come around my desk without asking, I think they just lack good judgement.

6.  Uber price inflation's on New Years Eve.

The law of supply and demand.  People are drunk, they need a designated driver, it is THE biggest party day of the year and their of more of them then there are of you, therefore, you raise the prices.

7.  Doctors who make you wait when you already have an appointment.

Now, I am not talking 15-20 minutes here, I am talking over an hour.  I think this is greediness in most instances if it is a re-occurring trend, cram as many patients in at one time that is possible which in turn goes directly to his/her pocket.  However, if it is a one time deal, it may be the doctor trying to accommodate as many of his patients as he can during flu season to make sure they are treated properly.

8.  Text talk

The younger generation who is extremely technology savvy but lacks tact or proper writing etiquette.  Let me note, this is not just in text, I also have experienced this in work emails.

9.  Your company sitting on the phone while dining with you

Social media.  We are so concerned with staying in tune with everything happening in the word and on various social media sites that we fail to stay connected to those near and dear to us in the presence.

10.  People who do not control their pets when you visit them at their homes.

Look, I get it, you love your pet and treat them like family.  They can eat off your plate and sit on your lap but not every person feels the same way, especially if your dog jumps and has nails or sheds a 5 inch fur ball all over the black dress you planned on going out in that night.  People are just naive.

11.  People not wiping down equipment after using it at the gym.

I hold both the persona and the gym responsible.  Lack of adequate signage or an orientation educating new members on how to care for equipment is a big problem but once those people observe others, they should follow suit, if they choose to not do so, they are just lazy.

12.  People who flip out on you if you do not floor it when a light turns green.

Everyone is in a rush.  People cut themselves so short on time that when they are running behind, others have to feel their stress.  Lack of time management, patience and general niceties is a big problem in our society as a whole.

13.  Pedestrians who take their time or walk in the middle of the road.

Oh the irony that number 13, follows number 12.  A lot of times I think people are just spaced out and not paying attention to their surroundings but it is still an issue when you are trying to pull into a parking spot at the mall and a person is walking down the middle of the road and you must yield to them.  Have some courtesy.

14.  Lack of empathy when dealing with customer service.

If  I could have labeled this in order, this would be my number one.  What happened to good customer service?  This is entirely on the shoulder of a corporations lacking proper training.  I realize interacting with people is not an easy job but employees should be trained on how to handle difficult situations and with a good demeanor.

15.  DirecTV

Oh DirecTV, you had me NFL Ticket and that is the only reason I stay with you.  Bad reception during storms, maintenance charges every time you need someone to come and check your satellite and phones holds that exceed 30 minutes.  Need I say more?

16.  Automated phone systems.

I know this is intended to expedite the call for the customer while keeping customer service numbers up for the corporation but if I have to press 15 different numbers to get routed to a customer service associate, if I was not mad to begin with, I am by the time I am there.  The lack of merging technology improvements with the importance of customer satisfaction is to blame.

17.  Slow wifi

I'm the problem here.  I could upgrade my wifi to a faster speed but instead I choose to be frugal and get just what I need to get my school work done.  It still annoys me that I have to pay over $50 to get there so on purpose, I begrudgingly keep my slow speed.

18.  When you hold the door for people and they do not say thank you.

Bad manners, end of.

19.  "Hidden fees" with the airlines.

Corporate greed at its finest and unassuming consumers.  People think they are getting a good deal with allegiant airlines until they are charged $35 for a carry on, $5 to print their boarding pass, $26 to choose a seat; it is just ridiculous.

20.  Cyber trolls

Technology.  I know the intent of this blog is to bring us up to speed in the social media realm, it has helped businesses gain business, people reach lost family and friends, etc. but it also invites the ugly people of the world to hide behind a computer and speak disparagingly to others.  It invites sexual perverts to find young victims without people suspecting anything of them from the comfort of their own home, it allows cyber bully's to hurt others with words until they commit suicide, it opens pandoras box for young teens with poor judgement to send pictures of themselves in compromising attire (or lack their of) or positions that will be around for the rest of their lives.  Sometimes I wish we could digress to more of a "paper" environment but I do acknowledge that the pros outweigh the cons.


The end result of this is slightly disheartening, bother me and my outlook on things and people AND for society as a whole. There were a few general things that bugged me, like slow wifi or the businesses practices of DirecTV, but most of my issues lied with people themselves and their actions.  This was an interesting assignment because I completely understood the point of it, find things that bug, if they are a legitimate problem, could you be the one to come up with a solution.  However, I truly try to see the good in people and situations, with this assignment, I found my frame of mind to be more negative and that I did not really care for.  Perhaps I took the assignment too seriously but when you tend to be the optimist of the group and are asked to wear the hat of a pessimist, it can certainly be an uncomfortable experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole! I love what you said in the last sentence of the reflection about being an optimist asked to wear the hat of a pessimist and how uncomfortable it is. I'm the same way, I try to not let the little things in life bug me so I found it challenging coming up with 20 different things to list, which you can find here ( http://rmathisonent3003.blogspot.com/2016/01/bug-list-things-that-bug-me-and-why.html ). A couple of things that bug both of us would be slow wifi and terrible customer service, wifi is essential to a college student on a deadline I don't need the extra anxiety. Bad customer service puts me in the worst mood, which is very high on my list forsure. One from your list that I wish I added to mine is when people use their cell phones at the dinner table, if I'm being intentional about spending time with someone they shouldn't be distracted and on their phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole, I thought your post was well done and thought out. That last part seems kind of obvious but the last post I read looked like it was put together in less than a minute. The biggest one I love that you have is your bug with apathetic customer service people. That is one of the things that absolutely drives me nuts! There job is to make sure my problem is handled and that I walk out the store satisfied with what they helped me with. Being mistreated ad not recognized as a human being these days is just rude and poor workmanship. You said you took this assignment too seriously, I ended up using this as a chance to list what bugs me in a light hearted joking matter. Light humor and making of jokes of things is what gets me through the day so I put my personality into mine(http://bstestblogpost.blogspot.com/2016/01/bug-list-week-2.html). For me this was a pretty easy post since I already seek and list problems of things, but being an optimistic person as well at the same time. I find problems in things as more of an opportunity for growth than complaining so this assignment didn't really take away from optimistic personality.

    ReplyDelete