Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Twenty Percent

I chose the owner of a local prepatory academy as the entrepreneur to interview.

When they opened their business, they offered a promotion to local theme park, Universal Orlando. They offered them 10% off the weekly rate for all those who registered their children in the first month.  She has told me that 90% of their business comes from the parents who work for Universal or their sister company, Loews Hotels. She informed me that their marketing cost are limited because there has been a waiting list ever since their first year of business.  However, the parents appreciate and stay up to date with the business via their Facebook page; here she posts parents night out events (after hours day care babysitting), upcoming events and dates that they be closed (such as holidays).

The biggest issues being brought forward by the customers are the restricted hours.  After two years of operating under the same hours, they expanded to a 7 pm close time and created the parents night our once a month.

The three target customers all expressed the same interest in the daycare based on their peers high recommendations but also the same concerns.  Even though the daycare is open later, a theme park is an early morning, late night operation.  However, they noted that this was not isolated to just this particular daycare/prepatory academy but a universal problem with all daycare's.  One even mentioned that there are 24 hour daycare's that exist but you sacrifice quality for the convenience.


8 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole, I enjoyed reading about this prepatory academy that offered an interesting promotion for the parents who registered their children within the time given. I thought that the parents night out once a month was a great addition to the daycare business since other daycare services do not offer that perk. The business's working hours are reasonable, however like you said 24/7 service sacrifices the quality of care. Check me out: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8545792306262525561#editor/target=post;postID=3000229359538840073;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=1;src=postname

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    Thanks for your sharing! I was a little confused in the beginning what exactly a preparatory academy was. I originally thought it was a school but later paragraphs cleared that up. I have heard the complaint in regards to daycares not being open late enough on multiple accounts. That was really smart of the owner to open the daycare right next to Universal though and offer them an early registration discount. Good luck with the rest of the semester! Feel free to check out my blog at http://blessingsinablog.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nicole. I found your post very interesting. The situation you brought up with prepatory academies is something I’ve heard a lot of. I’ve heard many others talk about how it’s hard to find a good daycare center with hours that work for them. I remember reading about how places like Google and other tech companies provide a 24/7 daycare center inside their offices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! its extremely interesting to see that Universal orlando offers special deals to people who are registering into that school. What exactly is the name of the prep school that he is the owner of. I also am curious on how he got into relations with universal studios since its in the same area. You should check out my blog at Your link seems to be broken which is extremely problematic when writing this post. Anyways, Its great you are interviewing someone in the medical field who target a large portion of americans. you should check out my blog at http://michaelduellent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think marketing for a school is very tricky but it seems like things are going pretty well to have a waiting list. That deal is unheard of! I wish my school would offer me a discount to Universal or Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole this post was very interesting. I had no prior knowledge that Universal orlando offered this type of deal. The idea to open up this daycare right next to universal is very smart in terms of it attracting large numbers of customers. The idea of a 24 hour daycare would be a good idea at first, but would eventually run its course. Keep up the good work seems like you are doing the right things for this course. Look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your business choice! I didn't catch the name of who "she" is, but she's clever targeting a specific crowd. Day care centers usually have little need to advertise, but she really secured a toehold in the community with her strategy. My entrepreneur is similarly inspiring, hint hint (http://adventuresinent.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-twenty-percent-evolved-or-theres.html?m=1).

    I wish you had audio/video! The one downside to the business you chose is that you can't approach her customers without resistance/apprehension. I know I would feel violated if I were approached at my son's school, but trying to seek out parents working for Universal out of everyone in Orlando would be a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    I think this is very accurate. You wouldn't really expect children to be too excited. Yet, parents will always be excited about this type of stuff. Also, I think the whole point of the business being where it is, is to take advantage of the location. Therefore the fact the their 20 percent are people in neighboring buildings does not surprise me. Check out my post at : keivnramos910.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete