Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Half-way Reflection

Taking Entrepreneurship is a class that I never thought I would enjoy.  It is most certainly challenging and requires a great deal of dedication and drive but in the end, I genuinely believe it will make you a better student, business person and who knows, maybe even a successful entrepreneur.  This is not a class that you can just skate through.  You need to plan ahead and a lot of it requires the availability and cooperation of others.

There are times when you want to throw in the towel, for me personally this involved the elevator pitches.  I have a horrible speech anxiety and after recording a video 20+ times to still have it come out mediocre, was depressing to say the least.  But when you hear your peer reviews, when they tell you that it was not as bad as you thought and that you steered your points across, that is when you pick up the pieces and continue moving forward.  The comradery among your peers is incredibly helpful and it is the only online class where I actually felt fully engaged with fellow students.

If I had to give three tips for future students taking ENT3003 it would be the following:

Read the syllabus and create a timeline; factor in plan B.  There are many interviews that I had planned that fell through.

Allow yourself at minimum 10 hours a week. Some weeks it is slightly less but not often.

Participate in Yellowdig.  Even if you do not necessarily need the extra credit, we are all in the same boat together and some of the articles are incredibly helpful in the success of the class and the business world in general.  Remember, knowledge is power and reading more will only prove to be more helpful.


3 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    I agree with almost everything in your halfway reflection, especially the part about time management and balancing time to do all of the assignments. As far as the elevator pitch goes, I think everyone struggled with that to a certain degree, but it was good for all of us to get out of our comfort zone and think outside the box. Public speaking is something we can all improve and the only way to get better is through practice. Good look on the assignments and the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I really agree with your comment about how engaged you feel with other students for this online class. As someone who is in totally online classes, I can attest to the fact that no other online class keeps you engaged like this one does. Also, I concur that a plan B is essential in this class. You must Be prepared for things to go wrong and to change plans on the fly. Check out my reflection here: http://jakeryanentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nicole,
    I think your halfway reflection is great. I especially like the part where you spoke about time management and balancing time for all of the assignments, i completely agree with that and have recently been struggling to accomplish it. I also agree, from the many online classes i have taken that this one is definitely one of the online classes that keeps you engaged the most. Good luck on completing the rest of the class and if you'd like to check out my reflection you can go here: http://ent3003img.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete