Let me preface my post with I did not include videos. I am not comfortable with recoding people without their knowledge without them knowing. I have to tread lightly with things I do in the public eye due to who my boss is and it was not a gamble I was willing to take.
That being said, this was my experience.
I chose to do this over the course of a week while on my lunch break. I work in downtown Orlando and walk around at lunch to run errands or go grab a bite to eat so I found this ideal.
I chose to approach people who carried a welcoming demeanor; I feel like this assignment required me to tread lightly as to not offend anyone.
Person 1:
Walking into Starbucks I ran into a women trying to get through the door with her baby in a stroller and struggling. I started a conversation with her by letting her know that I remember those days of bringing my baby and tow and having to navigate the world around you. I ordered my coffee and when I got my change, I turned around and handed her two dollars (I know it was one but two is what you need for a small coffee). I said "here, let me buy you a coffee today, you deserve." She smiled kindly and said that was not necessary, I said "I know, I want to." She took my money, thanked me and I left.
Person 2:
Walking to Subway, I was walking the opposite direction of a homeless woman. This was the most minimal conversation. As I approached the woman, I pulled a dollar out of my pocket and held it out to her. She looked at the money and then me. I said, "I figure you could get yourself a donut for breakfast." She said thank you and we literally both kept on walking with a stop or any further conversation.
Person 3:
Walking to meet my friend for drinks at the end of the work day and I passed a bike messenger who was hopping off his bike and walking it up some stairs. I gave a small head nod, I actually did not plan to approach this guy but the opportunity presented itself when he asked where I was going looking so fancy, lol. I told him where I was going and he said maybe he would meet up with me later; I told him maybe but that our location might change. Since the conversation was going smooth, I pulled out the dollar and said here. He asked what it was for and I said, in case we don't run into each other later, let me buy you a beer. He actually joked and said a dollar would not get him a beer in downtown Orlando and to save my money as a tip for the bartender when he bought me a beer. In the end, he did not take the dollar.
Person 4:
Person 4 came on the same day as the bike messenger except it was late in the evening. My friends and I were walking to our next bar in a pub crawl that we were doing and there was a group of guys walking the opposite direction. One of the guys approached a friend of mind to see if she was interested and the whole group started to get engaged in conversation. A couple feet from us was a guy playing the drums with some buckets so I told one of the guys, I would give them a dollar if they did an irish jig in front of the guy. The guy took the dollar and he did the dance. This was the most fun.
Person 5:
I was walking out of Chinese food restaurant and an older elderly man was taking a casual stroll down the road. As I passed the man, he said, smile a little it wont kill ya. I turned around to look at him and I replied with "I could say the same for you." He responded with touche. I asked how his day was going and he said good, he was heading to church. In that moment, I reached into my purse and handed him a dollar. He said he didn't understand and I said, its for the church. He smiled and said I was a good girl but for me to keep my dollar and he would put $5 in for both of us. I said ok and we departed ways.
3 of the 5 people accepted my money. The men had the hardest time with it with the exception of a drunk guy. I can honestly say that the people that I thought would accept the money, did and those that I found questionable, did not. This assignment was incredibly uncomfortable and difficult for me and I did not enjoy it at all. I do not mind giving money, it is striking up conversations with random people and the risk of insulting people by giving them money that made it unbearable for me.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really great post! I highly enjoyed reading about your encounters. They were quite different than mine. Your encounters seemed to be more on the spot or randomly throughout the day when you could. Mine was completely different in that I planned an approach (coming up with a whole skit on how this is for a survey to see how many people accept random acts of kindness) to see if people would accept the money. You can check it out here at http://bradksingh.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html
I really enjoyed reading your post! Honestly I think it's my favorite one that I've read so far. This assignment was something I felt very uncomfortable doing, so I simply chose not to (not the best idea, I know). So I'm glad you were able to get over that fear and complete this, as I was not able to. I like how you took your time to zone in on specific people rather than just walk up to the first five people you saw. You seemed very approachable and kind, which is probably why it wasn't weird. If someone is acting very awkward it could end in a weird interaction. Great job with this, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI love how you incorporated this assignment into your everyday life, and I am beyond amazed at how wonderful this post is. You don't need the videos, the imagery in the post did more than a video could have. Great job with this assignment and post. Feel free to check out my blog at http://ufclassblog.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteHello Nicole,
ReplyDeleteVery descriptive post! I enjoyed reading each interaction that you had, and I understand why you didn't want to include videos. I wasn't comfortable recording either and it was definitely a strange task to walk up to people and hand them a dollar. I had trouble giving away my money to a couple people too, and got some strange looks. I like how you didn't just approach people to hand them a dollar but instead waited for the right opportunity. Good post!
I feel uncomfortable doing vidoes too so i get it, i actually liked your descriptions better than a video. great observations and good job with the assignment
ReplyDelete