My questions for these particular interviews have changed course. I actually pitched my concept of a concierge service for working families as I previously did. Previously I asked if they would be interested in the business, what services they would want, etc. This time I asked how much they would pay, would they require a background check, how would they pay (cash, credit) and ho often they would use the service.
The people that I interviewed were a husband and wife with three kids, two separate single moms, a single bachelor, a newly engaged couple, a young college girl.
What I learned is that people would be willing to pay more than I thought, the average was $25; aside from the young college girl. I was shocked to hear that 3 of the 5 people I interviewed did not care about background checks but they also said it was contingent on the errand, ie: money or kids would require references and a background check. Cash and credit were both an option but they said credit would be convenient for unplanned services. I also got a suggestion of setting up an account where they can charge ahead of a time a set amount and pull money from that account. The consistent answer for how often was once a week, the college student being once a month. I would definitely say this was the most productive interviews thus far.
This sounds like a great idea and it seems as though your interviews went very well! I'm a little surprised that the majority did not care about having a background check. In my opinion, no matter what sort of work I'm having someone do, if it somehow has to do with my family then I'd like to know what kind of background a person has and where they've come from. I also think the cash and credit option is a good choice because credit is usually more convenient for last minute things. Feel free to look at my post at: http://scp1995.blogspot.com/2016/02/interviewing-customers-no-3.html . Great job with yours and keep up the work!
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a really cool concept. If I was a working person and my time was worth more working than running errands, I would definitely be willing to pay some one to do them. I think you should try recording people though since that it what the assignment requires but I understand that it can be very awkward! Here is a link to my blog if you want to check it out http://thereseverything.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThat business idea does sound pretty handy. There is a company with a similar service called Task Rabbit. I believe they do background checks on the people doing the tasks. You might want to give their site a wander, you could maybe fine tune your idea a little based on things you like or don't like about their operation.
ReplyDeleteI'm jumping on the band wagon--I like the concept. It conjures thoughts of Care.com, and I bet it could be pitched as a new wing of their business. I want to hear your interviews!
ReplyDelete\m/ it's a girl's world.
I think that you have a great idea here! I would definitely target the older couples rather than college students because it sounds like that is where you will be the best fit. I loved reading you post!
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteI love your idea, but I really wish you had videoed the people that you spoke to. Without the videos, it is hard for me to tell what their true reaction was to the idea. This is unfortunately an incomplete exercise.
http://travismcafee.blogspot.com/