Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Celebrating Failure

While many might say I did not fail, I honestly feel like I did when I compared my elevator pitches to other classmates.  I have severe speech anxiety and my final product was not much better than the first one.  There were points I failed to touch on, I spoke to fast and really, never "nailed" my sales pitch.

I learned with determination and learning by example that I could get better.  No, I did not nail it but if it was even a slight improvement then it was worth the multiple efforts.

Failure in general is brutal.  You learn where you need improvement and with this particular class, you learn by the example of others and by the suggestions of your professor and peers.  People do not tell you things to be hurtful, they tell you things to make you a better person both personally and professionally.  It is important to not allow failure to get the best of you, it can only make things worst.  Instead, consider it a learning mechanism and grow from it.

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I am with you on the elevator pitch. Out of all 3 of them, I never really looked natural and professional at the same time. It was aways just a tad too scripted for my taste or the one that was not scripted was just very unprofessional. I also definitely agree that this class helps you learn from others in a way that most classes don't have.
    check out my post athttp://andiev.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole I am glad you felt comfortable sharing your failure with us. I know from personal experience how hard it is to admit to others that you failed. I love your outlook on your failure though. You did improve even if it was just soemthing small like feeling slightly more comfortable in front of the camera and speaking to others. My failure also related to schoolwork feel free to check it out : http://entweekly.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole I feel that we all had a hard time with the elevator pitches, and it is tough getting everything in precise in under a minute. I did the same thing as you with my speech, but I realized that regardless I was always not going to be happy with it. I think that you have a great outlook on failure though and keep being positive. Please check out my blog here http://soulstosteal.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete